Glassware tasteoff

If it has anything to do with wine, we want to know about it!

Glassware tasteoff

Postby wizz » Sat May 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi,

I dont often post links to blogs, but with the interest in glassware that comes and goes, I thought this tasting might be of interest:

http://www.brisbane-book-club.com/tasting-notes/the-great-glassware-tasteoff-26-april-2014/

Cheers

Andrew
wizz
Senior Executive Vinophile

Re: Glassware tasteoff

Postby ChrisH » Mon May 12, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks Wizz, always interesting tastings at the BBC !

Zalto always performs well, though it is quite expensive at $60 retail. Beautiful feel, nose and delivery to the mouth.

The Schott Zweisel Vina range is almost as good as the Zalto when I have tested Bordeaux and Burgundy glasses side by side against the same Bordeaux and Burgundy wine respectively. I therefore tend to save the Zalto's for the top wines because i have quite a few SW's.
ChrisH

Postby Dave Vino » Tue May 13, 2014 10:08 am

Yep big fan of the Zaltos, almost everyone in our tasting group uses them now. I did a cut down version of this using my Riedel Vinum, Speiglau and the Zalto's are like a veil being lifted from the wine. It is very obvious even to people who are not into wine you give them the same wine in two glasses and they can pick it straight away.
Dave Vino

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Tue May 13, 2014 1:04 pm

One of my Austrian friends gets the Zaltos into HKG at 28 euros per glass. Perhaps the same deals can be found in Australia? Certainly makes the Riedels look expensive.
Jamie Hong Kong
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby Polymer » Wed May 14, 2014 7:04 pm

I actually like the Zalto Burgundy glass a lot for most reds...The Universal is also very good...I think it works very well all around..but some glasses will perform better than the universal for a given wine but I haven't figured out if there is a pattern yet...Eg. A Chardonnay might perform better (to me) on a smaller Riedel than the Universal..but the next Chardonnay and the Riesling did not...

The one thing with the Zaltos that none of the other glasses replicate though elegance. So thin, but still very sturdy...they are almost weightless compared to other glasses...and while I feel Riedels, etc, are all pretty elegant, they feel very chunky in comparison. I'm not sure how much of that is playing on my mind when using them but I'm sure it does.

28 Euros is a really good price...

In the US you can get them from one of the guys on WB for under 40...but in comparison Vinums and pretty much everything else you can find for under 20...
Polymer
Vinophile

Postby Lincoln » Wed May 14, 2014 9:01 pm

Yep I like the Zaltos too.
Bought mine when I was in Peru for work for 100 PEN....
Lincoln

Postby michel » Wed May 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Lincoln wrote:Yep I like the Zaltos too.
Bought mine when I was in Peru for work for 100 PEN....

Fool
PM Me i can source locally in Aus atm for 25 per stem
Cheers
m
michel

Postby falls » Thu May 15, 2014 5:48 pm

I have both the Zalto and Riedel glasses at home, a variety of both manufacturers.

As a rule, I much prefer the Zalto glasses, but interestingly, I use the Riedel glasses for Aus wines, as I feel the Zalto's promote both heat and alcohol. IMO, the typical aussie shiraz is much better off in a Riedel

OTOH, for Bordeaux and Burgundy, Zalto is the hands-down winner for me. Superb glass.

I have a cousin who swore black and blue glassware makes no difference to the taste of wine. I served him a 2000 Lynch Bages in a Zalto Bordeaux and in a $2 cordial glass from Safeway. Never seen such an amazed look on his face hehe
falls

Postby Polymer » Fri May 16, 2014 1:19 am

falls wrote:I have both the Zalto and Riedel glasses at home, a variety of both manufacturers.

As a rule, I much prefer the Zalto glasses, but interestingly, I use the Riedel glasses for Aus wines, as I feel the Zalto's promote both heat and alcohol. IMO, the typical aussie shiraz is much better off in a Riedel

OTOH, for Bordeaux and Burgundy, Zalto is the hands-down winner for me. Superb glass.

I have a cousin who swore black and blue glassware makes no difference to the taste of wine. I served him a 2000 Lynch Bages in a Zalto Bordeaux and in a $2 cordial glass from Safeway. Never seen such an amazed look on his face hehe

I can see this being the case..I've seen it spike alcohol in some whites and a few reds...but I've also seen it have an much more expressive nose as well...My wife thinks i'm crazy when I have 6 different glasses out as I'm trying the same wine in all of them...maybe she's right..
Polymer
Vinophile

Postby wizz » Sat May 17, 2014 7:25 am

Interesting all the comments about the Zalto spiking alcohol - I thought the Zwiesel was more pronounced and made the Zalto look quite even and balanced in the way it presented the wines.

I preferred the Zwiesel for old world styles and Zalto for the more fruit forward, higher alcohol new world wines. But that's just me,
wizz

Postby sanjay » Sat May 17, 2014 8:00 pm

I only have one Zalto glass- a white wine glass. Need to get some more.
sanjay

Postby sanjay » Wed May 28, 2014 10:19 am

Tried the Zalto Burgundy glass (courtesy of Chris) and it really showed the perfume to its advantage.
sanjay

Postby Lincoln » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:54 pm

sanjay wrote:Tried the Zalto Burgundy glass (courtesy of Chris) and it really showed the perfume to its advantage.

Get on the Zalto train.... apparently there is a Zalto beer glass too..... me wonders......
Lincoln

Postby sanjay » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:42 pm

I purchased a couple of Bordeaux glass too.
Tried a Barolo tonight with the Burgundy glass and it worked very well.
sanjay

Postby tunetown » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Can anyone please recommend a Zalto supplier in Aus? I'm interested in getting some of the Bordeaux glasses.

Cheers
Peter
tunetown

Next

Return to World Of Wine