Glassware tasteoff

If it has anything to do with wine, we want to know about it!

Re: Glassware tasteoff

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:35 am

sanjay wrote:Tried a Barolo tonight with the Burgundy glass and it worked very well.

Agree. A fantastic glass for nebbiolo and this is becoming an emerging trend in Piedmonte at top restaurants.
Jamie Hong Kong
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby falls » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:29 am

Hi Jamie,
need to stock up on Zalto glasses for my new place in Shenzhen. Do you know where I can get them in HK?
falls
Senior Executive Vinophile

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:05 pm

Let you know. Evidently there's a great deal on them through an Austrian friend whom my wife and daughter are holidaying with in Wachau. I need to stock up too.
Jamie Hong Kong

Postby falls » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:07 pm

no worries, I will wait for your advice!!!!
in Melbourne ATM, freezing cold,. will go to the snow Saturday after the crows beat us friday night at the adelaide crowval, and then back to sunny SZ on Tuesday… ahhhh, this is the life!!!
falls

Postby gazzab » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:13 pm

Must admit I am a Riedel fan but must broaden my horizons, clearly anything is better than an XL5.

GB
gazzab

Postby Shaggy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:22 pm

If you're looking for a general purpose glass, I've been really impressed by the Gabriel Glas. Similar to the Zalto GP glass, but $90 for a six back at retail for the machine made version. They seem to be very popular with the trade in Melbourne at the moment
Shaggy

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:56 pm

falls wrote:no worries, I will wait for your advice!!!!
in Melbourne ATM, freezing cold,. will go to the snow Saturday after the crows beat us friday night at the adelaide crowval, and then back to sunny SZ on Tuesday… ahhhh, this is the life!!!

Falls I'm off to Austria tomorrow and staying in Wachau with friends who are locals. Below is their advice.

I'll be sending back a big order to HKG if you are interested?

Jamie

Buy the zalto in Austria. Sharon will take you to a shop, where I get 10% discount + they ship to HK, so you safe on the 20% vat. So including shipping glasses for less than HKD 250
Enjoy
Jamie Hong Kong

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:20 pm

The Wachau Vallley produces some of the most profound Rieslings. I've enjoyed ( again ) the great wines of Hirtzberger, Pilcher ( FX and Rudi ) and Knoll as well as many unheard of producers. We were fortunate guests at a village introduction to the new restaurant of Hirtzberger and chatting to the son there was a pretty confident view to the long term aging of Rieslings and perhaps Gruener Vietliner should be put away in any serious collector's cellar. I'll be back here again soon and hopefully I'll put together a village drinking post- Wachau is another of the wine world's great wonders with stunning beauty, local cuisine, hospitality and unique wines.

Anyways, back to the thread, all white-wined out and this 5 euro wine from a lovely bloke who hosted us for a tasting at 10pm was delivered in amazing fashion via this Zalto glass.

Falls I can't clear out my PM box so if you need any of these babies for HKG I've ordered 100 glasses and the come in at 18 euros per glass and I'm just getting a quote on air freight. Happy if you want to tag along with us on this order and that price is a third of local retail in HKG!

Jamie Hong Kong

Postby falls » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:25 am

sweet, I am in!!!!
flying into HK tomorrow (qantas, not Cathay this time, will be packed as everyone going to europe scrambles to get off malaysian), was about to look around next week for them, but i will hold off. I am interested in the Bordeaux mostly, I have a dozen each of Bords Burgs and Universals here in Melbourne, but i got space issues in SZ (haha, like everyone else),
would love 6 Bords, but let me know if this is too small an order (would take other models if the bords are not available)
falls

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Sure I'll add on that when I organize shipping. I'm toying with their decanters too.

I'm in Europe and everything is filing up as I imagine the panicked exit MH. Two Black Swan-like tragedies what's the chances of a third? Sad events.
Jamie Hong Kong

Postby kaos » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:46 am

I reckon you are being generous to MAL, Jamie. They lost one airliner down the back of the couch (and until anyone works out what happened then its a bit hard to comment on their responsibility - but I would expect them to know where the plane is/was) and they chose to fly over the Ukraine where some other major airlines flew routes to the north and south (admittedly they got a bit unlucky on copping fire from slivovic slammin baltic nutbars with highly advanced weaponry). I used always shop for flights based on price alone. I've got to the point where, whilst price remains a big factor, I will look beyond price alone......
kaos
Executive Vinophile

Postby ChrisH » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:39 pm

I agree. You would reckon they would have played it ultra safe and not taken any risks after the first plane disaster.

Actually, it is a pretty unforgivable risk for any of those airlines to fly civilian passengers over a warzone where a number of planes had been already shot down recently by those kamikaze Russian nutbags (some of whom appeared to be affected by drugs/alcohol according to the first recovery team who tried to get access to the site).
ChrisH

Postby Lincoln » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:57 pm

ChrisH wrote:I agree. You would reckon they would have played it ultra safe and not taken any risks after the first plane disaster.

Actually, it is a pretty unforgivable risk for any of those airlines to fly civilian passengers over a warzone where a number of planes had been already shot down recently by those kamikaze Russian nutbags (some of whom appeared to be affected by drugs/alcohol according to the first recovery team who tried to get access to the site).

Serious thread drift here..... But I do agree with you Mr Hammer
Lincoln

Postby gazzab » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:36 pm

I think MAl have been extremely unlucky on both disasters.

Gazzab
gazzab

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:04 am

ChrisH wrote:Actually, it is a pretty unforgivable risk for any of those airlines to fly civilian passengers over a warzone where a number of planes had been already shot down recently).

Most carriers fly over war zones as small arms and most anti-aircraft weapons such as shoulder launched missiles and ack-ack won't make it anywhere near high altitude. For instance, many airlines fly over Afganistan and Iraq; Syria would surely be a no fly zone as the amount of high tech SAMs looted.

The game changer is Russian SAMs which are frightening - I work with guys who are pretty up to date with the Russian gear as they've fought against it in fighter jets. Some of their systems have incredibly long range and can sit comfortably within Russian borders and shoot down aircrafts hundreds of kilometers away and at any altitude. I'm not surprised of civilian ignorance at a management level to these capabilities.

I'm not really following the media on all this but why are airlines flying over Iraq with ISIS in control of large land tracts and looted SAMs? Yes, the Americans should be able to provide a timely heads up but they didn't with the the Ukraine?

Sadly, somewhere, it will happen again eventually.
Jamie Hong Kong

PreviousNext

Return to World Of Wine