Glassware tasteoff

If it has anything to do with wine, we want to know about it!

Re: Glassware tasteoff

Postby ChrisH » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:12 pm

There would be a lot of people thinking, "there but for the grace of God go I" .... A Singapore Airlines plane was 15 minutes behind on the same course.
ChrisH
Senior Executive Vinophile

Postby falls » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

kaos wrote:I reckon you are being generous to MAL, Jamie. They lost one airliner down the back of the couch (and until anyone works out what happened then its a bit hard to comment on their responsibility - but I would expect them to know where the plane is/was) and they chose to fly over the Ukraine where some other major airlines flew routes to the north and south (admittedly they got a bit unlucky on copping fire from slivovic slammin baltic nutbars with highly advanced weaponry). I used always shop for flights based on price alone. I've got to the point where, whilst price remains a big factor, I will look beyond price alone......

actually, just about all major airlines flew the same route, including Emirates and…. yes, you guessed it… QANTAS!!!!!!!!!!
Indeed, the disgraceful little tag QF has on its web site "we don't fly over the Ukraine" is appalling. Sure, they don't fly over that area NOW, but until MH17 bit the dust, they certainly DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was on a MH flight from KL to LHR only three weeks ago, directly over the same area, so it certainly hit a personal note with me. And worse than that, my brother was flying over the same area, roughly, about 12 hours before the incident.
certainly cannot blame Malaysia for this one.
falls

Postby ChrisH » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Except Qantas itself doesn't fly there. You have to use Emirates on that Qantas route (partner airline).
ChrisH

Postby kaos » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:51 am

Of the european carriers that were listed in a Murdoch paper only Luftansa was taking a route over Ukraine. KLM, BA and others were not. Just because plenty of airlines flew over the Ukraine, does not mean MAL cannot shoulder any resposnbillity. That's like saying that everyone else was crossing the road without looking so it was not my fault the car hit me.....
kaos
Executive Vinophile

Postby falls » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:10 pm

no, in fact Qantas WERE flying in that general area.
falls

Postby ChrisH » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:42 pm

Which specific Qantas flights over the war zone ?
ChrisH

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:16 am

falls wrote:no, in fact Qantas WERE flying in that general area.

Your bro is more qualified than I but QF were a little way south?

That said, S-100n & S-200 SAM doesn't matter, can blow you out of the sky from there no problems. The Ukranians proved that years ago! BUK more limited and perhaps thats the mistaken assumption the Russians assumed?

Sad, awful and disgusting events. My family on Lufthansa a few days before and I can not imagine the grief so many folks are going through- yep I know everyone had someone on that route even the PM couldn't help but mention it but it sure hits home.

I'm not sure if the missile crew were drunken thugs, just poorly trained conscripts or poorly trained guns for hire ( OK thugs ). Properly trained crews should be able to shoot down an enemy aircraft or multiples of in contested airspace, with enemy aircraft laying down electronic and active counter-meaures such as ECM, chaff and manoeuvre. An airliner, on a constant track, relatively constant everything else, disgraceful! I light myself up like a X-mas tree electronically anywhere near a war zone and that is your best defense. Events in the Ukraine are sobering and have happened before and will happen again.
Jamie Hong Kong
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby falls » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:38 pm

thanks Jamie
see explanation above, but be "assured", it could just as well happened to many QF's bound for Europe. Don't think I should go into specifics, but I was pleased that many complaints resulted in QF taking down their appalling "we don't fly that route" on their web site.
falls

Postby falls » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:41 pm

anyway, enough said about that, but I will just end it by saying Malaysia cannot be blamed for this, although the courts will eventually decide how much they should pay the victims
falls

Postby falls » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:44 pm

back to thread, had a very very nice lunch on Sunday, with a selection of Burgs from the 80's and 90's in the Zalto burgundy glasses, I am just loving these glasses. Although I also possess many Riedel burg glasses, IMO the Zalto is a far better proposition.
falls

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:32 pm

falls wrote:back to thread, had a very very nice lunch on Sunday, with a selection of Burgs from the 80's and 90's in the Zalto burgundy glasses, I am just loving these glasses. Although I also possess many Riedel burg glasses, IMO the Zalto is a far better proposition.

Zaltos are the only ones I use now..... what do I do with all the others? Smash them up?
Lincoln

Postby Tom A » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 pm

Might be an odd question, but how do you all wash your Zaltos? Do they go alright in the dishwasher?

Cheers
TA
Tom A

Postby tj » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:57 am

Can't speak for the other types but my Universals go fine in the dishwasher...I think Zalto also suggest in their material that they are dishwasher safe...correct placement important though...no responsibility taken for this advice :)
tj

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:54 am

falls wrote:thanks Jamie
see explanation above, but be "assured", it could just as well happened to many QF's bound for Europe. Don't think I should go into specifics, but I was pleased that many complaints resulted in QF taking down their appalling "we don't fly that route" on their web site.

From what I was told a few airlines altered their route a few weeks before the tragedy including QF. I'm sure what is crew room gossip will come out in the wash eventually once verified. I've been in aviation long enough to know there are plenty of bull-shitters so the veracity is not certain.

I note that as per my earlier comments SAM-threat awareness magnified now I gather due insurance premiums. The potential ISIS threat in Iraq honored by Emirates.

Anyways, I've placed the order, your 6 x Bordeaux shouldn't be far off. Let me know when you are back in our Fragrant Harbor.
Jamie Hong Kong
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby falls » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:47 pm

yes Jamie, 17 days to be exact :twisted:
and those BUK's were around a lot longer than that.
Over the past 12 months, I have flown over that general area ten times (five return trips), on MH, QF and Emirates, so it really hit home to me when this happened. And I am sure tens of thousands of fellow travellers have had the same thoughts as me :(
Last edited by falls on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falls

PreviousNext

Return to World Of Wine