Otago Recommendations

If it has anything to do with wine, we want to know about it!

Otago Recommendations

Postby Sebastian » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi All
I'm heading to Wanaka and Queenstown later in the year, and hoping to sneak in a few cellar doors. I have very little experience with NZ wines; are there any "don't-miss" wine experiences that I should be lining up?
Thanks in Advance
Nick
Sebastian

Re: Otago Recommendations

Postby wizz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi Nick, I've travelled to Central Otago a fair bit in the last few years. I thought I'd answer by giving the five cellar doors that are generally open to the public that I'd go to first. These aren't close together - Wanaka, Cromwell/Bannockburn and Queenstown more or less make the points of a triangle with 50km sides

Rippon (Wanaka). The view alone is worth it
Felton Road. (Bannockburn). Cellar door itself is nothing special, but the wines are usually some of the best
Chard Farm. The driveway alone makes it worthwhile!
Rockburn. In the industrial part of Cromwell, but the wines are very good indeed.
Peregrine. Spectacular architecture.

Taking an alternative approach, if you want to see a group of Cellar Doors that are close together, then:
Bannockburn: Felton Road, Mt Difficulty, Terra Sancta, Desert Heart are all very close together on Felton Road, and Akarua, Carrick, Bald Hills are clustered nearby on Cairnmuir Road. Both very good groups.
Cromwell: Wanaka, Rockburn, Quartz Reef are both in the industrial heart of Cromwell, but the wines make them worth considering.
On the road to Queenstown, Chard Farm and Peregrine are my personal favourites, but you'll be spoiled for choice!

Don't forget Wine Tastes in the Queenstown Mall, where you can sample wines from their huge range of enomatic machines. Although I think it has changed names now?

Cheers

Andrew
wizz
Senior Executive Vinophile

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:41 am

wizz wrote:Don't forget Wine Tastes in the Queenstown Mall, where you can sample wines from their huge range of enomatic machines. Although I think it has changed names now?

Fantastic and hard to resist though be careful with the pricing! Shelf bottle price is retail and the machine concocts a price with a sit down margin.

Eichardt's is a lovely place for a drink and they do a nice flight for about $20AUD- which seemed very reasonable by Queenstown standards!

http://www.minaretstation.com/about-us

This experience is mind-blowing though quite expensive and requires a chopper- but cheaper than a bottle of DRC I suppose :D .
Jamie Hong Kong
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby Sebastian » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Thank you both, that's exactly what I was after. Will try to post some notes only my return.

Jamie, I saw your photos of the helicopter experience, so tempting!!

Thanks again guys.
Sebastian

Postby gazzab » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi Sebastian,

Agree with Jamie and Wizz.

Wine wise definitely Felton Rd (ask for Tracy) and Rudi is a hell of a nice guy (Quartz Reef in Cromwell).

On the food front some great options, don't miss Amisfield winery (Lake Hayes) but best to book. Rata (Queenstwon) has a well known chef I thought good rather than great. Don't miss Arrowtown a quaint gold mining village, Saffron is a reasonable bistro there. Gibbston Valley is OK for lunch.

You will have a great time.

Gazzab
gazzab
Senior Executive Vinophile

Return to World Of Wine