Subscription e-mags

If it has anything to do with wine, we want to know about it!

Re: Subscription e-mags

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:17 am

there is an Aussie wine writer in the same boat

Do you have any Aussie subscriptions Falls?
Jamie Hong Kong
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby falls » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:27 am

Hi Jamie,
not any more. Used to have Halliday/Oliver
not really any point as I rarely buy Aussie wines these days.
the stuff I read from Gary Walsh is good, he seems pretty balanced and knows what he is talking about. I assume he has a subscribers web site, but I have never looked into it.
falls
Senior Executive Vinophile

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:30 am

Fair enough, yep, I'm out of the Oz scene too as the high $AUD and taxation makes it too expensive to buy much anymore.

I've a mate who is an expat too and in regards to the Australian emags, he reckons it is not understood very well the extreme difference in pricing- for instance a very modest foreign wine that lands in Australia in a very expensive price bracket, is compared locally to indicate great quality and interest in Australian wine. His sentiments and not mine.
Jamie Hong Kong
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby falls » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:02 pm

what I find most interesting is that most Australian wine drinkers do not realise that the tax on wine (WET/GST) applies also to the vast majority of Australian producers as well!!!!!!

I was amazed to read on the other forum all these people rabbiting on about how there is no value in Imported wines because of the tax etc etc. None seemed to realise that Southcorp all the way down to the little fellas selling over $600k also pay exactly the same tax.
falls

Postby falls » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:05 pm

god knows how people afford Bordeaux here!!!! The great 2010's, excluding the supers, are selling around $250-300 in HK, the same wines here are around $500!!!
I was really happy to pick up a case of 2010 Palmer over there a couple of years ago for $220 per, and was absolutely shocked to see it selling here for $700!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

speaking of e-mags, as I said, wine-searcher is a great tool, but it is also interesting that many if not most of the imported wine retailers in Australia have recently taken themselves off the site, I guess that do not want to display the outrageous prices.
falls

Previous

Return to World Of Wine