Help me build a vertical tasting!

If it has anything to do with wine, we want to know about it!

Help me build a vertical tasting!

Postby VinylChef » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:02 am

Hi Everyone,

This is my first real post.

I would really like some thoughts on this matter:

I am intent on finding a (Australian) wine to invest in, purely for personal future vertical tasting purposes.

I want to buy 37 (screw capped) bottles of a current release vintage of either white or red wine, taste one bottle and write my first tasting note about it. I will cellar the remaining 36 bottles in good conditions (wine storage locker).

Next year I will buy 36 bottles of the same wine but of that year's current vintage. I will do a (small) vertical tasting of one bottle of each wine and will write a tasting note for each.

I will cellar the remaining 35 bottles alongside the previous 35 bottles, buy the next vintage, do a vertical tasting, store the remaining 34 bottles, so on and so forth for a total of 36 years.

So if I were to commence my odyssey this year, buying the 2012 vintage of whichever wine I choose, in 2051 I will host the final vertical tasting of 1 bottle of each of all the 36 previous vintages going back to vintage 2012, leaving no single bottle unopened. The thought of tasting 36 vintages of the same wine in one sitting may be a little daunting but I am hoping that by that stage I will be so practised that monotony will be of no concern! And I will be mid-seventies in age!

I wish this adventure to be one that I share with a small group of family, friends and industry mates over the whole period, not asking any money from anyone.

The criteria:

The wine must have a proven track record for long term ageing.

It must have long-enough a history/pedigree to guarantee not to go out of production (at least not for the next 36 years).

I have to be able to buy this wine in non-case (single bottle) format. I cannot afford the storage or cost of the extra bottles if I have to buy in 6's or 12's.

I can't afford more than around $60/bottle (around 700 bottles @ $60 = $42 000. I have done a quick calculation and I think I would be up for storage costs of maybe $18 000.)

So!

I need your advice about which wine would satisfy these criteria!

Tyrrell's Vat 1 Semillon

Grosset Riesling

Tyrrell’s Vat 9

Mount Pleasant Old Paddock and Old Hill

Wendouree Red, if I can get on the mailing list and develop a relationship with them!

Any other suggestions please!!!

I would prefer a red but accept that I may not be able to afford one which would age gracefully for 36 years!

I would not mind if, in 36 years’ time, the earlier vintages are a little over the hill; they will have their place...

I am serious about this and would be happy to share my tasting notes in the future.

Thoughts?

Dave.
VinylChef

VinylChef

Re: Help me build a vertical tasting!

Postby falls » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:54 pm

if you insist on Australian, then you might be a little surprised to find that a century of tasting notes and books suggest that Victorian reds probably have the best track record if you are looking to find a wine alive and well in 36 years. I just finished a bottle of Balgownie Cabernet 1981 that was very much alive and well, although the modern version of this does not share the same quality. you could try:
Bests Bin 0 shiraz
Tahbilk Cabernet… they seem to live forever
Baileys shiraz.. they will live forever, but are not the same level as 30 years ago, similar to Balgownie
otherwise, try a Hunter shiraz or semillon
steer clear of Grosset rieslings, they will be dead and buried decades before you get to the last vintage.
At $60, you might be able to get Jack Mann, they too will live forever, but I think the $$$ might thwart you!!
falls
Senior Executive Vinophile

Postby kaos » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:27 am

Hi VC

You could do a lot worse than Wynns BL Cab. It is hard to guarantee any wine will continue to be produced every vintage for 36 years but this one should - it has long history, is not premium (so should be made every year) and changing lineup and ownership are unlikely to impact (well, they haven't to date). You'll save plenty vs budget of $60 per bottle. On top of which it is very good wine.

On storage cost, you never go over about 320 bottles with your plan, so just buy a Kitchener Peltier 430 for about $5k and don't worry about storage....

M
kaos
Executive Vinophile

Postby falls » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:31 pm

yep, plus 1 for the Wynns BL, that would be a very good choice.
falls
Senior Executive Vinophile

Postby grog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Oh yes, the kitchener peltier 430!
A great piece of kit and excellent bang for buck. I do get a bit thwarted by the fact that the bottles stack two deep, but it imposes discipline in all sorts of ways. For example, I am never tempted to get the ones that are ageing nicely at the back! And it also means I MUST keep a database. Sorry for the off topic...
grog

Return to World Of Wine