Melbourne (CBD) – Vue de Monde– Some BYO and LIC

Impressions of restaurants home and abroad.

Melbourne (CBD) – Vue de Monde– Some BYO and LIC

Postby Antonio » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:02 am

Cuisine: Modern (French)
Service: Excellent
Food: Ok...I am just not a big fan of this style, its like "theatre" food, its funky, interesting, pushing the edge presentation and taste wise a lot of the time. Its clear they get GREAT produce, i just wish it was all so "tricked" up. Had some lovely Lamb, some great John Dory and a very nice risotto...but Foie Gras Cigars, wrapped in pastry and rolled in cocoa with a burning coconut husk on the end served in a large ashtray?!! huh?!!
Value: Its expensive, between 125 and 250 for the evening set menu, you pay per course, between 5 and 14.
Ambience: Not a huge fan of the dining room, I prefer something a bit more comfortable, chairs are ok, but not super comfy, space is bright and open, big open kitchen, I prefer not to have open kitchen in fine dining.
Glassware: Excellent, all the right glasses for the right wines etc.
Wine list: To be honest, very disappointing, list appears to have been stripped back a fair bit, and it is hellishly expensive. I ended up going for the matching wines and must say I wasnt enamoured with them at all, I mean: Tgallant unfiltered Chardonnay, a 10yr madiera, 2006 Huet Vouvray, 2006 village white burg, 1975 Bests Pinot Meunier, an isreali cabernet, a japanese wine. Interesting stuff but failed to capitivate and especially not for about 150 a person.
BYO Details: It can be possible for special bottles on prior arrangement for about $50. But woud need to be a very special bottle.
Offline Prospect: Get the private room...would need to be a very high end offline!

I took my Girlfriend along, and she loved it and we did have a great night, its clearly a good place for a date as its all a bit of a show.

But...all in all, this isnt really my cup of tea, I cant get excited about the wine list, I cant get excited about the food, I cant get excited about the ambience.

Im sure many others will disagree as it is still probably the hardest main stream table to get in Melbourne.
Antonio
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby michel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:18 am

been there for lunch
had the wine degusto factor
poor wine
so so food
Shannon aims to get 500 bucks ahead out of every customer is what I read in the paper

michel :shock:
michel
Senior Executive Vinophile

Postby Antonio » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:25 am

At least at lunch they have Al la Carte, which is far better as I would much rather have 3 courses of great food than 10 experimental ones.

Som eof his recipes when replicated by Tanya (for example) have been great, so he obviously has the capacity and obviously has the raw ingredients for great food.

I think I prefer Jacques Reymond. The dinig room is stately, the food more classic, but the wine list is still rubbish.
Antonio

Postby Guest 389 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:04 pm

Went to a themed evening at Vue (NYE with David Helfgott on keys) to celebrate Mozart. The food was Austrian/German themed and contained only slight twists (the most out there was a deconstructed apple crumble). It was remarkable and easily the best food I've had at Vue. They can do it just choose not to... I haven't been to a normal evening for a while and don't think I'll be heading back anytime soon.
Guest 389

Postby candyflip » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm with you Adam - to me its the highest end Theatre Restaurant in Melbourne - minus the chicks in bawdy medieval costumes, or fangs and capes.

By the seventh course, you're stuffed full and unable to think clearly anymore. The booze prices (all of them really) are crazy.

If I had the money, this would not be my 'good time' choice for a slap-up feed or celebration dinner...

but good luck to them - as you say, wildly popular...
candyflip
Executive Vinophile

Postby Antonio » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:20 pm

rooview wrote:Went to a themed evening at Vue (NYE with David Helfgott on keys) to celebrate Mozart. The food was Austrian/German themed and contained only slight twists (the most out there was a deconstructed apple crumble). It was remarkable and easily the best food I've had at Vue. They can do it just choose not to... I haven't been to a normal evening for a while and don't think I'll be heading back anytime soon.
Did you wear fancy dress??
Antonio

Postby Antonio » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:24 pm

candyflip wrote:I'm with you Adam - to me its the highest end Theatre Restaurant in Melbourne - minus the chicks in bawdy medieval costumes, or fangs and capes.

By the seventh course, you're stuffed full and unable to think clearly anymore. The booze prices (all of them really) are crazy.

If I had the money, this would not be my 'good time' choice for a slap-up feed or celebration dinner...

I am really sick of massively over priced wine lists...2 examples, VdM and Grossi Florentino.

They have the model wrong. I dont mind spending the money if I can drink something with a reasonable markup, I dont mind paying 2x retail, I do mind paying 3-4 times.

I had a table at Grossi and I cancelled, I simply could not find a single wine that actually interested me to drink that was less than about $600.

I look forward to going to a fine restaurant knowing I am in for a treat on the wine front. I cannot get excited about going to Grossi and drinking $10euro italian reds for $150, or a bottle of Dalwhinnie Shiraz for $110-140.

Its a disgrace. Be reasonable, the wines will sell, mark your trophies up if you just want to keep them for show...but at least have some stuff in the 50-200 range that is reasonably good value and good drinking, preferably from the country of origin that your food is from.
Antonio

Postby AdamW » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:56 pm

I agree completely. If the restaurants marked up double i would always be happy to buy off lists when we eat out but 3 times or more i lose interest.

Secondly with the tax law and cost of labour over here you can not buy a bottle of wine under 80 in any decent restaurant. Peter Lehman Shiraz is the entry at about $80. Gets prettty drepressing quickly. Lucky europe is so close.
AdamW
Vinophile

Postby candyflip » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:07 pm

Antonio wrote:LARGE SNIP

...Its a disgrace. Be reasonable, the wines will sell, mark your trophies up if you just want to keep them for show...but at least have some stuff in the 50-200 range that is reasonably good value and good drinking, preferably from the country of origin that your food is from.

Here here. We had the same experience at Florentinos, although we didn't cancel (had a voucher so it was all gratis). I was appalled at how much the booze was - we bought similar bottles the week before at our local Inn for 70% less.

Not good enough.
candyflip
Executive Vinophile

Postby PeteHazz » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Antonio wrote: ...I am really sick of massively over priced wine lists...

It's not just Melbourne. Sydney's prices are disgusting and 3 - 4 times retail too common. It absolutely shits me to hear "restaurants have to make money somewhere". I have no idea then how the thousands of BYO restaurants survive without wildly overpriced winelists. Then when Quay cuts their prices to barely above exotic and encourages others to do the same, out come the knives. If 4 times retail is what it takes to make money, you've got it wrong. Rant over :evil:
PeteHazz

Postby Antonio » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Very disappointing indeed.
Antonio

Postby PeteHazz » Fri May 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Thank God I didn't order the dego and a few bottles of Montrachet on the 1st of April then...
PeteHazz

Re:

Postby Buzz » Thu May 31, 2012 8:01 pm

Antonio wrote:
candyflip wrote:I'm with you Adam - to me its the highest end Theatre Restaurant in Melbourne - minus the chicks in bawdy medieval costumes, or fangs and capes.

I am really sick of massively over priced wine lists...2 examples, VdM and Grossi Florentino.

They have the model wrong. I dont mind spending the money if I can drink something with a reasonable markup, I dont mind paying 2x retail, I do mind paying 3-4 times.

I had a table at Grossi and I cancelled, I simply could not find a single wine that actually interested me to drink that was less than about $600.

I look forward to going to a fine restaurant knowing I am in for a treat on the wine front. I cannot get excited about going to Grossi and drinking $10euro italian reds for $150, or a bottle of Dalwhinnie Shiraz for $110-140.

Its a disgrace. Be reasonable, the wines will sell, mark your trophies up if you just want to keep them for show...but at least have some stuff in the 50-200 range that is reasonably good value and good drinking, preferably from the country of origin that your food is from.

Absolutely agree. Dined at VdM ( as a guest)- 2 people-2 cocktails, 1 bottle of exellent Barolo-and food:- $940.00
Happy to have had the experience but could not agree more with Adam- the business model re wine mark up is all wrong- It really is a "look but don't touch" experience-
AND $10 for an espresso (Please)
It is theatre, it is an experience, and I want to rate EXCELLENT, but..... overpriced wine list, $10 espresso's and Seasoning on food that was really razor's edge =bordering on overseasoned- and this from a bloke who is known to enjoy some tomato with his salt.
For a trip to the other side re food construction- Embrasse much better value (though it must be said totally different vibe)
Buzz

Re: Melbourne (CBD) – Vue de Monde– Some BYO and LIC

Postby falls » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Luckily, I am not really a foodie. So, dining out for me is strictly BYO, the one exception is the melb wine bar next to European, with prices 10% above retail. Also, Bistro Thierry and France Soir offer reasonable value, with Thierry better than FS, and particularly now as Thierry has a new chef producing spectacular food, amongst Melbournes best, and amongst the country's best for that matter!!

I am with you guys , e mark ups make me sick, and they are uniformly worst amongst the high-end Italian restaurants, for reasons that escape me.
falls

Re: Melbourne (CBD) – Vue de Monde– Some BYO and LIC

Postby bodi10 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:41 pm

Have to agree - as sad as it sounds BYO is the way to go. You might miss out on some great food (where BYO not allowed), but the real enjoyment comes from great company (and the wine)!
bodi10

Next

Return to Restaurant Talk