Canberra -- what's the state of play

Impressions of restaurants home and abroad.

Canberra -- what's the state of play

Postby Artist FKAN » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:05 pm

No reviews for Canberra restaurants ... can anyone summarise what's good and bad there, who is BYO and who has a great list? TIA
Artist FKAN
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby pstarr » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:56 pm

There are a few recent threads on this topic floating around, including on the other forum.

FWIW, my rushed thoughts:
- Anise
- Rubicon
- Chairman & Yip
- Aubergine
- Sabayon
- Courgette
- Ginger Room (at Old Parliament House)

All seven of those have either interesting lists, good food, an interest in diverse wines, allow BYO, or some combination of all four of those. There are other places, like La Scala in Civic, that do wine dinners, but I have seldom eaten at.

The Good Food Guide, from memory, and the Gourmet Traveller awards book, has coverage of Canberra restaurants.

Not BYO
- Grazing (at Gundaroo), has a local sourcing philosophy, including for Canberra District Wines, so is a good window on the district

The Lynwood Cafe at Collector has a similar philosophy, but does BYO.
pstarr
Vinophile

Postby Artist FKAN » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:15 pm

Cheers, might have to try two or three in a 48-hour stop soon. Anyone keen to join me?
Artist FKAN

Postby cuttlefish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Nev, you could nip in to a bookshop and flick through The SMH Good Food Guide. The Canberra restaurants are reviewed there...
page 202 onwards...

Ottoman (Turkish) in Barton hasn't been mentioned. Has a hat, and an extensive list of locals according to the guide.
cuttlefish
Senior Executive Vinophile

Postby Artist FKAN » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:06 pm

cuttlefish wrote:Nev, you could nip in to a bookshop and flick through The SMH Good Food Guide. The Canberra restaurants are reviewed there...
page 202 onwards...

Ottoman (Turkish) in Barton hasn't been mentioned. Has a hat, and an extensive list of locals according to the guide.

Yep, got that thanks.
Artist FKAN

Postby Guest 389 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:23 am

Ottoman is good food and a good but moderately priced wine list ( 2005 Mt Mary Pinot at approx retail).

I suggest sharing a few dishes vs. the recommended menus to get more the flavour profile / contrast that you like.

Don't worry about too much or too little - they'll completely change everything you've suggested in the interests of enjoyment.

Two thumbs up from me!

Ginger Room has been good but seems to be finding it's a way a bit at the moment - but last time was a couple months back so it may be on track again.

Both Ginger and Ottoman are close to where I usually am in Canberra so it works well. :lol:

Courgette (City) food is very hit and miss... it's very rich and will leave a queasy feeling (unless you like that kind of thing). List is superficially deep but I found little of interest.
Guest 389

Postby pstarr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:28 am

I've only ever been to Ottomans for functions (wine dinners, set menu type deals), and it was OK, rather than impressive. I have heard very good things about going there in their normal mode, just never got around to it.

Let me know the dates you are going to be in town Nev. Mr Lole may be able to be encouraged to come out as well.
pstarr
Vinophile

Postby WWW » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Went to Courgette last night and it was one of the better dinning experiences I've had recently - highly recommended...
Vinophile

Postby Artist FKAN » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:03 pm

pstarr wrote:Mr Lole may be able to be encouraged to come out as well.

Er, I doubt it. He hasn't spoken to me for a year. :roll:
Artist FKAN

Return to Restaurant Talk