Melbourne (Fitzroy) - Anada - LIC

Impressions of restaurants home and abroad.

Melbourne (Fitzroy) - Anada - LIC

Postby mf » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:32 pm

Cuisine: Spanish

Service: Pretty to Very Good (7.5/10). The place is reasonably casual but the service was very good and the person who served us was very good with recommending food and wine. I would have given a better rating but they did forget a couple of dishes until we reminded them - which may be more an issue with the kitchen than the staff.

Food: Very Good (8/10) - Very good range of tapas and raciones - the tapas in particular were very good. The more conventional items liked smoked chorizo were very good as was a special with red anchovies. The lamb brains was a bit too confronting for some.

Value: Very Good (8.5/10). The food bill between 5 people was approximately $220 for 5 people - so around $44 a head. This was enough food for everyone to be more than full.

Ambience: Pretty good (7/10) - the ambience was pretty casual so believe it achieved its aim. It was slightly noisy but I am guessing that is a result they would be happy with. Seating is at high tables with high chairs (similar to Movida Next Door).

Glassware: Pretty Good - included a change of glassware for a change in wines.

Wine list: Relatively short list (maybe 70 wines - more reds than whites) including sherries and ports focused on Spanish wines with a few Portugese and Australian options. I am not a Spanish wine expert so can't really evaluate the quality but thought the list very good value (most wines in the $40 to $80 range). Our waiter was also very helpful with recommending wines.

BYO Details: No. Did not question whether there is any flexibility with this.

Offline Prospect: Pretty good but if can't BYO obviously limiting but could be a fun way to have some Spanish wines who don't normally drink them. They have two sittings (at least on Saturday) at 6pm and 8.30pm so would probably want the 8.30 sitting for an offline. I also understand that they only seat one larger table of around 10 per session so that would be a maximum number and would need to be factored in for booking availability.

Website - http://www.anada.com.au/main.html
Age Review: http://www.theage.com.au/news/restauran ... 50449.html
mf
Vinophile

Postby mf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Went back to Anada last Friday and thought I would note it as experience was slightly different.

Went with eight people so were reuired to have one of the banquet menus (either 9 course for $49 or 12 course for around $65 - 12 course includes dessert). You are required to have the banquet with 6 or more people.

My review from below pretty much stands, however the main change was that the food included in the banquet really did not reflect well on the restaurant (and the food you could get for your own selection). Found the selection a bit strange - particularly a sardine dish that had no fans, especially given there had already been a pretty plain oyster dish (although to be fair the oyster I am told was pretty good quality - I am just not a fan of oysters). I think from the 9 dishes I may have chose 2 if choosing myself - in any event I did not find the selections either good from either the perspective of showing Spanish classics (even the Jahmon was a bit light on and a bit of a mess) or some more adventurous dishes (it was all a bit random).

Therefore my food rating for this outing would be average to pretty good (all things considered it was not bad just nowhere near as good as it could have been) and maybe 6/10 and the value was also just average to pretty good and 6/10.

I think I would only go to Anada again (I was very happy with it when choosing our own food) with a group of less than 6 people or if they would let us pre-order with a group of 6 or more.

One positive was that after noting there was something wrong with a bottle of wine (think more oxidised and stripped of fruit flavour rather than corked) that we had already had poured into seven glasses that they still replaced the bottle with another with no issues. The new bottle did prove there had been something wrong with the first.
mf
Vinophile

Postby candyflip » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:58 am

I'm not a fan of this place - for all Mf's latest reasons, mostly to do with the food.

I'd rate a 6/10 also - but, as always, your mileage may vary.
candyflip
Executive Vinophile

Return to Restaurant Talk