Magill Estate Restaurant in a shambles again

Impressions of restaurants home and abroad.

Re: Magill Estate Restaurant in a shambles again

Postby Seven » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:21 pm

rumour from an (un)reliable source...

Magll will be closed soon for 6 months for 'renovation'... :roll:
Seven

Postby Guest 389 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Magill Estate is definitely closing for renovations. Adding a chef table amongst other things.

As for Magill at present, I've heard good feedback! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.
Guest 389

Postby Guest 389 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:03 pm

And they just won Best Restaurant at the Restaurant and Catering Association of SA awards last night! :cheers:
Guest 389

Postby n4sir » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:12 pm

The revolving door has moved again... :roll:

Magill Estate parts ways with top chef Jock Zonfrillo
Simon Wilkinson, Food Writer From:
adelaidenow March 27, 2013
1:29PM

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6607664089

JOCK Zonfrillo, the chef charged with redeveloping Penfold's Magill Estate into a world class restaurant, has quit the business.

"Following recent discussions on the redevelopment and future direction of the Magill Estate restaurant, we both agreed that it would be best if Jock pursued his culinary dreams at another establishment," Simon Marton, acting managing director for Penfolds, said in a statement today.

Zonfrillo started at Magill in October 2010.

Magill Estate was closed at the end of 2011, with Zonfrillo closely involved with plans for significant transformation to its dining room and kitchen facilities to coincide with a new direction in food and wine service.

The company has kept Zonfrillo, as well as several of his staff, on the payroll as the project was delayed by a series of planning issues.

Over this time, Zonfrillo has travelled to many of the world's best restaurants, as well visiting Aboriginal communities to pursue his interest in native foods.

Zonfrillo presented a detailed plan for the future of the restaurant earlier this month.

Mr Marton said Penfolds would search for a new head chef and was still committed to the redevelopment of Magill Estate.

adelaidenow is seeking comment from Zonfrillo.
n4sir
Senior Executive Vinophile

Postby n4sir » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:04 pm

... and after being closed the good part of two years, it's open again.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle ... 6705734353

Magill Estate reopens tonight with a thrilling new look and a menu including $435 ultimate meal
by: Food Editor SIMON WILKINSON
August 28, 2013 12:21PM

Magill Estate will reopen tonight with a thrilling contemporary look and a regular menu including a $435 food and wine match that can lay claim to being the most expensive restaurant meal in Australia.

During an exclusive look at the refurbished dining room, bar and kitchen, The Advertiser also was given a first taste of the cooking of new executive chef Scott Huggins and his team.

Penfolds' showcase restaurant, the dining equivalent to its world-famous Grange, has been closed for nearly two years, first by delays in approval for major structural changes that have since been abandoned, and then by the surprise departure of previous chef Jock Zonfrillo.

Working within the existing building, celebrated Melbourne-based designer Pascale Gomes-McNabb has created a contemporary wonderland of polished timber and brass, suspended spheres and striking red neon lines.

The space now also includes a bar with a mix of bespoke chairs and sofas, and a rug pattern that represents an aerial view of the historic winery.

The new Magill menu offers only two tasting menus, either five or eight courses, with the option of matched wines.

The ultimate package of eight courses, with elite wines such as Krug champage, Grange and Great Grandfather Port, is priced at $435 - more than any matched combination at Sydney icons such as Quay or Tetsuya's, though they would not include wines of such luxury.

A five-course dinner, without wine, costs $135.

Huggins describes his food as "refined but natural" highlighting the best local produce, particularlyfrom regions where the wine grapes are grown.

"When something is so beautiful, I don't know why you have to mask it with bubbles and foams," he says. "It just needs to be left as it is and shown utmost respect."

Huggins has assembled a team of 11 chefs, including head chef Shannon Fleming and pastry chef Emma Shearer who were part of the previous Magill regime.

His fiancee Emma McCaskill has joined the kitchen as research and development chef, a role that includes locating and experimenting with ingredients.

Making the restaurant's butter, for instance, has involved finding a supply of pure jersey milk and then developing the best way to churn it.

Adelaide-born McCaskill met Huggins in the kitchen of Ezard restaurant in Melbourne nine years ago

"Food is our passion," she says. "It takes up most of our days, most of our lives, so it's what we talk about a lot at home."
n4sir

Postby n4sir » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:24 pm

I read an article by Tony Love in the Sunday Mail (I can't find it online though :? ) that four senior staff including Shannon Fleming and the head Sommelier have already walked out on the reopened Magill Estate to join Jock Zonfrillo's new restaurant.

Talk about a rocky restart! :shock:

Cheers,
Ian
n4sir

Postby phillisc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:37 pm

n4sir wrote:I read an article by Tony Love in the Sunday Mail (I can't find it online though :? ) that four senior staff including Shannon Fleming and the head Sommelier have already walked out on the reopened Magill Estate to join Jock Zonfrillo's new restaurant.

Talk about a rocky restart! :shock:

Cheers,
Ian

Ian, read same, if you look in The Australian business section yesterday (22/9), it actually stated 5 staff. Glad dreary has departed, deluded that Pennies future lies offshore and thats the problem...why can't they see that.

Read that Gago is releasing another "special single one off wine for 170th in May 2014...might take the heat off the disastrous 2011 offerings.

Cheers Craig.
phillisc
Vinophile

Postby n4sir » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks Craig. I left the newspaper at the Hospital when I was discharged on Sunday and wasn't sure if it was four or five that walked, I thought the story would be on the AdelaideNow website (seeing as the headline made the front page of the Sunday Mail) but apparently it isn't. :?
n4sir

Postby Spielzeug » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Here's the link.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle ... 6723883349

Pretty rude to walk out after it re-opens... They could have left when the ex-chef so Huggins could build something with a loyal team....
Spielzeug

Previous

Return to Restaurant Talk