Robuchon a Galera, Macau

Impressions of restaurants home and abroad.

Re: Robuchon a Galera, Macau

Postby Antonio » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:10 pm

I dont know if you did, but I would never do a degustation at lunch at these kind of restaurants, they are just not in the same league as dinner.

A la Carte is the only way to go, make your own menu, avoid the dego as they just put you on the conveyor belt.

The wine list is not what it used to be, but it still has some great buys if you dig deep enough...gone are the days when we could drink 62 leroys, DRCs etc for reasonable prices! Old red label giacosas and gaja for less than 300 bucks...61 bordeauxs for far less than retail, old 1945 and 1961 champagnes in great shape for 200-300, sigh....
Antonio
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby AlanK » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:45 am

Personally, I would do a la carte dinner at l'Atelier Robuchon and put the money I save on the ferry and hotel in wine.
AlanK
Executive Vinophile

Postby Antonio » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:10 pm

And the 1000's you save from not going to blackjack table!
Antonio

Postby falls » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:31 am

Yea, we had lunch, but a la carte.
One of my bros used to work in HK, now in Beijing, and told me the wine list just like you said. So I was pretty flat and disappointed to read a book where there were no really stand out buys, as I has been expecting.
That put me on the wrong foot, plus very touristy, and then in the fu:-ing middle of our lunch, a couple of women just decide to wander up and get a picture of them with the GF... just a lack of any class about the joint. But sure, dinner might be a different matter.
falls
Senior Executive Vinophile

Postby Jamie Hong Kong » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm happy with paying corkage now and sourcing my own good wine when dining in Hong Kong. Otherwise, you are just being gouged.
Jamie Hong Kong

Postby PeteHazz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Jamie Hong Kong wrote:I'm happy with paying corkage now and sourcing my own good wine when dining in Hong Kong. Otherwise, you are just being gouged.

At least you're not alone. I'm consistently appalled at wine list prices in Sydney, not to mention Melbourne (notable and honourable exception my most recent experience of Circa), Perth no better. I can't see how punters are prepared to pay such obscene prices. Majella cabernet for $120. Sommelier pointing it out as value during a business lunch :evil:
PeteHazz

Postby Antonio » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 pm

falls wrote:Yea, we had lunch, but a la carte.
One of my bros used to work in HK, now in Beijing, and told me the wine list just like you said. So I was pretty flat and disappointed to read a book where there were no really stand out buys, as I has been expecting.
That put me on the wrong foot, plus very touristy, and then in the fu:-ing middle of our lunch, a couple of women just decide to wander up and get a picture of them with the GF... just a lack of any class about the joint. But sure, dinner might be a different matter.
the list is available online for download, could have had a check before you go...still some values there...but need to hunt them!

I always found the lunch crowd to be a COMPLETELY different crowd to dinner, they all rush in for the cheap degustation!
Antonio

Postby falls » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:58 am

Spot on Antonio,
talking to my bro last night and he was laughing that we went there for lunch, he did tell me to go for dinner. And yea, he says the same as you. Oh well, next time, if we ever venture into Macau again. If we do, I'll go back to HK that night, the hotel looks pretty ordinary.
maybe I will give it the benefit of the doubt and have another go over the Easter weekend... we will see.
In our defense, we had the nights pretty well sorted before we got there, so couldn't go there even if we wanted to.
falls

Previous

Return to Restaurant Talk