Melbourne CBD- YAK BAR

Impressions of restaurants home and abroad.

Melbourne CBD- YAK BAR

Postby Buzz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 pm

Ok, so Im not following the template, but not really an offline prospect but thought it deserved a mention.

Went to see Geoffrey Rush in MTC's production of The Importance of being Earnest (brilliant) and then wandered up to the cbd for a bite.
Yak Bar is on the corner of Little Collins Street and Russell Street. They make all their own pasta. We wern't in the mood for pasta so settled down to shared plates of a wonderful insalata caprese (with heirloom tomatoes, lovely buffalo mozzarella and a sensational olive oil - and a cheeky inclusion of some finely sliced green chilli), steamed mussels in lovely broth, and tempura zucchini flowers stuffed with prawn meat.
Plenty of excellent sourdough to mop up all that olive oil and mussel broth.
great bowl of olives to start.
Two schooners (are they bigger then pots?) of Stella and two glasses of Nero D'Avola to wash it all down and all up $77.00
In and out in say 90 minutes- sat at the bench by the window and watched the rain and passers by.

Highly reccommended.
Buzz
Senior Executive Vinophile

Re: Melbourne CBD- YAK BAR

Postby Hemulen » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:13 pm

I agree; their pasta is the best I've had in a long time, although their "Angel hair, pumpkin and amaretti croquettes with gorgonzola cheese" are very much a sometimes food.

I thint that it is, however, a rather odd venue. It is almost as if a wine bar and a restaurant decided to share a premises to save on rent, as neither part fits all that comfortably with the other.

For the finer points of beer glass sizes in Australia, you could always refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Australia#Sizes
Hemulen

Return to Restaurant Talk