ARTICLE: More restaurants closing than opening

Impressions of restaurants home and abroad.

ARTICLE: More restaurants closing than opening

Postby n4sir » Sat May 05, 2012 10:09 am

More restaurants closing than opening
Julian Swallow
May 04, 2012 11:00PM

THE number of restaurant closures now exceeds the number of openings as the industry suffers reduced spending and rising costs, an industry body says.

Restaurant and Catering chief executive John Hart said restaurants were being driven under by a combination of customers spending less and increasing overheads such as labour, which he said now accounted, on average, for 43 per cent of turnover.

"There's no doubt there are more closures than we've ever seen before," he said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6347235774

There's been some well known/established names go down recently when you add the Wine Underground to San Giorgio's Pizzeria, Al Amir Lebanese Restaurant and the liquidation of T.H. Holdings (Matthew Trim's company who's restaurant empire included The Manse, Sparrow and Grace the Establishment) named in the story.

Cheers,
Ian
n4sir
Senior Executive Vinophile

Re: ARTICLE: More restaurants closing than opening

Postby The_Fish » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:52 am

Hi Ian,

6 of my mates are heading over to Adelaide for the october long weekend to partake in a few wineries, enjoy a bit of fine food and generally just to have a bit of fun away from the kids.

Given the number of good restaurants that have closed in Adelaide over the last year or so can you or others recommend a few decent restaurants with decent wine lists that are still open?

Cheers
Matt
The_Fish

Postby George Krashos » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:33 am

Top of the town dining is way down in Adelaide. Probably Celsius is the best of them. Chloe's has good food, but the decor is firmly rooted in the 70s/80s. If you're the adventurous sort, Vincenzo's Cucina Vera will give you progressive Italian, but beware - no menu. You'll get what you're given! The Pot is decent and it's little brother Melt (and Melt CBD in town) are good bets as is Press if you're of a carnivorous bent (I'm doing the half suckling pig with mates on Thursday). For something very different, you might look at Kenji (which is Japanese with a twist).

Out of town, fermentAsian in the Barossa is fabulous as is Appellation (but a bit exy). Way on the other side of the city at Willunga, Fino gets great reviews.

Just a few to whet your appetite! :)

-- George Krashos
George Krashos

Postby michel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:04 am

Didnt I read that FermentAsian is BYO?
michel

Postby Artist FKAN » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:58 pm

michel wrote:Didnt I read that FermentAsian is BYO?

Yes, plus it has an amazing wine list.
Artist FKAN
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby The_Fish » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

George: I'm particularly taken with the relaxed nature of the menu at Press "How did the pig get on? Was it as good as it sounded?"

Ferment Asian also looks good and the wine list certainly has some familiar names on it :mrgreen: I really like the way that their wining and dining philosophies are put forward in the menus - something about 'sigfnificant others and time spent perusing wine lists not mixing well'?

A member of our group has a Vietnamese partner (what does one call a long term girlfriend who is not yet a fiancee?) who regularly invites us to her family gatherings. The food at those events is pretty special. As such I reckon there'd be a veto on anything Asian.

Vincenzo's has some interesting reviews on a number of sites so it's been scratched from the list for now. Accommodation has been booked, dining options are in the process of being sorted, hire car check - all we need now is somewhere to watch the ARL Grand Final and I'm happy.

I'll write up our visit to the wineries on return. Rockford is on the 'go visit" list. Reccomendations on wineries to avoid/visit appreciated.

Cheers
The_Fish
The_Fish

Postby George Krashos » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:17 pm

The pig at Press was indeed very good. If I had to nitpick I'd say it was a touch under-seasoned. I did enjoy getting into the cheek, much to the horror of one of my dining companions as I grabbed the (half) head by the horns, as it were. A fine experience though and worth doing with a group of carnivores. Their offal dishes are my first love though, and if you are so inclined, I'd recommend the mixed grill. Marvellous.

-- George Krashos
George Krashos

Postby michel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:22 pm

I byo to Vincenzo- after a call- sent wine back to the kitchen- food was stunning- just take what is fresh on the date!
michel

Postby bodi10 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Give the degustation menu with matching wine a try at Celsius - the Suffolf lamb is amazing!
bodi10

Return to Restaurant Talk