Wine Fridge Recommendations ?

If it has anything to do with wine, we want to know about it!

Wine Fridge Recommendations ?

Postby Justin » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:53 pm

Can anyone recommend a small wine fridge of say 30-50 bottles (not a bar fridge)? I know I can go to the big retail stores like Harvey Norman, but maybe there are better ones around than on offer there.

Thanks.
Justin
Vinophile

Postby gazzab » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:05 pm

Justin,

I have a Liebher (?spelling) and very happy with it.

Gazzab
gazzab
Senior Executive Vinophile

Postby Glen » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:21 pm

Hi Justin

Take a look at the following website, as Vintec is having a run-out special:-

http://www.wineindustryjobs.com.au/public.php?page=news&newsid=5

I have a 160 bottle Vintec which I just purchased about two months, and as I sit here typing it is 40ºC outside and about 39.5ºC inside, but my Vinbtec is purring along at 16ºC. Actually I have been in this room for about 2 hours so far and haven't even heard it come on yet. I highly recommend these units for the price.

Btw, I am not making a crumb out of this deal.
Glen
Vinophile

Postby YakYak » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:24 am

Justin,
I've got a couple of Vintec units at home...the 160SG and the V30sg2e. I think they are both good value.

The 160SG moves about 3 degrees during the year and you have a couple of degrees variation from top to bottom. However, the V30sg2e is multi temp and rarely moves from the set temp in the lower compartment.
YakYak

Postby Bill » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:19 pm

Justin,

I have a Liebherr wine fridge (mine is much larger than what you're looking for, however they make a large range of other sizes). I've had it for about a year now and am very happy with it, and in fact I'm seriously considering getting a second one.

Bill
Bill
Executive Vinophile

Postby rudy » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:38 pm

Bill wrote:Justin,

I have a Liebherr wine fridge (mine is much larger than what you're looking for, however they make a large range of other sizes). I've had it for about a year now and am very happy with it, and in fact I'm seriously considering getting a second one.

Bill

Ditto
rudy
Executive Vinophile

Re: Wine Fridge Recommendations ?

Postby Artist FKAN » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:59 pm

Justin B. wrote:Can anyone recommend a small wine fridge of say 30-50 bottles (not a bar fridge)? I know I can go to the big retail stores like Harvey Norman, but maybe there are better ones around than on offer there.

Thanks.

I'm having a look at a 28-bottle item this week for around $200-250 just for urgent drinking stock. Will let you know details as soon as I get them.

Neville
Artist FKAN
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby Justin » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:42 am

I currently have an excellent refrigerated cellar for my collection that I use at my parents house. The wine fridge I guess will be more used as storage for at least a couple of dozen bottles to give me some choice when I want to crack one. So the wines will be on hand for maybe up to 6 months. My summer time ambient temperature at my place is 25-27 degrees, so I think I need to do something for these temporary wines. It will also give me some temporary storage between buying some wine and taking it to my cellar. So I am not sure I need humidity control or anything too fancy. At one large retailer they have a 66 bottle Lemair wine fridge (Made in China). Its a single zone fridge and you can pick specific temperature settings from 5-18 degrees. $850 also sounds a lot better than $1300 for a smaller Vintec or Liebherr. The only thing that concerns me is that the Lemair has no promotional literature or any trace of it on the internet. The running costs and repair bills over time may also be higher, though you can buy a 5 year warranty cover for $70. I think Vintec comes with a 3 yr warranty.

Interestingly, wine fridges with glass doors appear to have twice the daily energy consumption of a non-glass door.

Not sure if I should be penny pinching here, or I should just bite the bullet and go for a Vintec or Liebherr type fridge. I'm sitting on the fence at the moment.
Last edited by Justin on Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin
Vinophile

Postby gazzab » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:49 am

Justin B,

If you are after someting basic but does the job, have a look at Kitchener Wine Cabinets, not the prettiest to look at, but reasonable cost.

Gazzab
gazzab

Postby JoePerry » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:25 am

I started with an Avanti, which I really disliked, and now I have a Vinotemp (not sure if available in Oz). I love the Vinotemp, although the racking system annoys me.

Best,
Joe
JoePerry
Vinophile

Postby Gander » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:24 am

Justin,
I live in a hot old house and had to solve the "holding bay" problem recently myself. Only visiting the commercial cellar every month or so if possible, it is a long way away and time seems to disappear once inside its dusty, chronically over-stacked confines.
I was looking at Kitchener, Vintec etc but decided that they were to expensive to justify and get past the finance committee.
The Lemair unit (34 bottlle) was getting more like it, then I noticed a similar looking unit at Kmart by a company called Mistral.
The only difference I could find in these two units was that the Mistral has a dial thermostat and the Lemair an LCD job with built in thermometer. They appear to be built in the same Chinese factory and badged by seperate companies for export.
The clincher for me was the price, Lemair $550 the Mistral $200.(plus $25 for a thermometer to mount inside)
I figured if the Mistral didn't keep a reasonable temperature range I would crank it up and use it as a beer/ everyday white fridge.
In 40 degree heat yesterday it got up to 17.5, the worst reading so far. During the more temperate spring weather it was running smoothly between 13.5 and 15 degrees. These numbers are with the unit fully stacked to keep the thermal mass at a maximum.
These fluctuations may not be tolerable to some on this forum, but for me, considering the price, they are fine, and far better than the former broccolli box in the built in, in the study alternative.

For mine, worth considering.

Cheers

Gander
Gander

Postby gazzab » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:27 pm

Gander,

Agree for that money if it only lasts a few to 5 years then ist still worth it.

Gazzab
gazzab

Postby Justin » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:24 am

Justin B. wrote:Not sure if I should be penny pinching here, or I should just bite the bullet and go for a Vintec or Liebherr type fridge. I'm sitting on the fence at the moment.

And the results of my deliberation........

As I'm not looking for humidity control for the relative short-term that I need to care for these wines, I purchased a Lemair 66 bottle wine fridge for $790 including a 5 year warranty (an extra that I paid for in the price).

Temperature control is excellent. My electronic temp gauge says it varies almost nothing over a 24 hour period. It allows temprature control to the degree and has a double glazed glass/stainless combo front door. The shelves are also easily adjustable, and with lots of height options. The only problem is that while the shelves have curvatures for 6 bottles each, YOU CAN'T FIT 6 BOTTLES ON A SHELF (manufacturer/distributor please take note!). 6 riesling bottles or 6 375ml bottles just fit, but 6 standard Bordeaux style bottles do not. It is advertised as a 66 bottle wine fridge but in reality, and practically, it holds only 54 bottles. Maybe this Chinese built cooler may have been designed in Germany where riesling and Gurtz wine bottle shapes are common ??? (I am guessing because the only German wines I hear about are those). Maybe it was designed to fit 66 bottles of rice wine?

The energy consumption is the same as other competing models. Padre Banderas will be interested to know it only costs $48 a year to run!

In the end I could not justify spending at least another $400 for a smaller (40 bottle) European-made Humidity controlled Brand with a 3 year warranty. Not when I only store these wines for consumption over the next 6-12 months or so.

So if anyone is looking for an affordable 54 BOTTLE temperature contolled wine fridge for wine consumed in the short term, I can recommend this fridge (at this early stage). Maybe the European models will still be going strong at 15-20 years old, while this one may be finding the going tough or have already died. Ask me again in 15 years.

Thanks to everyone who replied to the initial post.
Justin
Vinophile

Re: Wine Fridge Recommendations ?

Postby Notorious Glug » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:57 am

Shifty wrote:
Justin B. wrote:Can anyone recommend a small wine fridge of say 30-50 bottles (not a bar fridge)? I know I can go to the big retail stores like Harvey Norman, but maybe there are better ones around than on offer there.

Thanks.

I'm having a look at a 28-bottle item this week for around $200-250 just for urgent drinking stock. Will let you know details as soon as I get them.

Neville
That is an excellent idea. Just make sure it has humidity control. 2 doz is a great number to have at home. Keen to hear how it goes, and if they are in short supply, put my name down baby!

cheers,
Notorious Glug
Chief Executive Vinophile

Postby tannin » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:07 pm

I bought the cheap Mistral, $200, 34 bottle and it does hold 34 (apart from extra fat Ata Rangi pinot bottles).
Has no humidity control but the humidity inside is about 50% on my guage and relatively constant...this may be because I am in Brisbane.
Temp fluctuates about 1 degree over the last month.
The compressor is made by LG.
Seems OK.
tannin
Executive Vinophile

Next

Return to World Of Wine